Head of Scientific Computing
We are currently looking for a Head of Scientific Computing to join us at the next possible opportunity.
As the Head of Scientific Computing, you will lead a newly forming centralized scientific computing core facility. You will have the opportunity to recruit and build your own team of scientific computing experts and create a strategy for the developing group. The primary goal of your group is to facilitate research by providing a central resource for scientific algorithm development, data analysis, image analysis, machine learning expertise, and software development. A key aspect of this will be managing and developing algorithms for a new, currently being installed, mid-size High-Performance Computing (HPC) cluster. caesar is also modernizing storage with two mid-size storage units for the purpose of facilitating the use and retention of scientific data and your facility will assist scientists to effectively use this resource.
• Lead, manage, and develop a strategy for the scientific computing core facility including budget and personnel planning.
• Coordinate the hiring and management of the rest of the scientific computing facility team.
• Work closely with scientists to implement service oriented and modern IT solutions.
• Administer and assist with use of the HPC cluster and associated data storage systems.
• Develop, with your team, algorithms, and software for scientific data analysis, image analysis, and machine learning. Provide technical advice and support to cross-departmental research projects.
• Interact with the leadership of caesar to help plan the future of computing within the institute.
• Organize courses and training for further education of scientists, students, and employees.
• Ph.D. or Masters degree with relevant experience in an appropriate discipline (physics, math, chemistry, biology, bioinformatics, computer science, etc.).
• Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and at least a working knowledge of German.
• Experience in HPC environments, cluster management, enterprise storage and developing related algorithms.
• Practical experience successfully running a project and leading a team.
• Hands-on experience developing in a scientific environment/context with R, Python, and/or Matlab would be an asset.
caesar is committed to diversity and inclusion and is aiming to increase the percentage of women in areas where they are under-represented. We therefore explicitly encourage women to apply. Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
The position will initially be for 2 years with the possibility of continuation.
Please submit your application online only by May 17th, 2019 via https://www.caesar.de/en/joining-caesar/
If you have any further questions, please contact Christoph Geisen, Tel.: +49(0)228 / 9656-200 / or firstname.lastname@example.org